Join Our Team
Food Forward is working to fight hunger and food waste in Southern California, and we’d love to have you join us.
Food Forward is currently seeking applications from people who are passionate about fighting hunger and food waste, and interested in working with Southern California’s premier gleaning nonprofit organization. Click on the links below to read the full career descriptions and to apply.
We are seeking student interns for this coming fall! Interns will be placed with members of our Program Staff and will work directly helping us to harvest food, fight hunger, and build community. Internship positions require 10 – 20 hours / week out of our North Hollywood or Ventura branch offices and in the field. Internship positions are unpaid, but students may arrange to receive credit from their college or university. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Organization: Food Forward, Inc - a 501 (c)(3) non-profit, www.foodforward.org
Position: kNOw Waste Classroom Educator
Hours: 10 hour training in Dec 2018/early Jan 2019, followed by 3-4 hours a week January - April 2019
Location: Training will take place at our offices in North Hollywood and remainder of position will take place onsite at elementary schools located in LA County. Exact locations TBD.
Organizational Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need, and inspiring others to do the same. With the volunteer-power of over 7,000 registered volunteers and a small staff, we will help feed over 1.25 million Southern Californians in need with healthy, nutritious, otherwise wasted produce this year.
Program Overview: Food Forward’s kNOw Waste Program is an interdisciplinary, standards-aligned 5th grade curriculum that introduces students to the connections between reducing food waste, improving environmental outcomes, hunger as a social concern, and the importance of utilizing surplus to meet the needs of the food insecure. Since the fall of 2016, Food Forward has implemented kNOw Waste in 10+ elementary schools throughout Los Angeles, reaching over 1,000 fifth grade students. Position Description: The kNOw Waste Classroom Educator is a contract position that will report to the Education Manager. S/he will be responsible for providing onsite lesson instruction for multiple classes of 25+ fifth grade students at elementary schools located throughout LA County. The ideal candidate is passionate about hunger/food justice issues and youth education. This position is the perfect fit for someone with a flexible schedule and the desire to be a part of an exciting youth engagement program unlike any other. This position is a great opportunity for new educators to gain hands-on experience, or for retired teachers to dip their toes back in the classroom.
● Attend curriculum training at Food Forward offices in North Hollywood and onsite at schools prior to beginning classroom instruction
● Lead the instruction of kNOw Waste lessons, provided weekly to 2-4 classes of fifth grade students during regular school hours (information on exact school locations and teaching period time frame will be provided closer to the start of the program)
● Provide weekly school updates to Education Manager
● Provide support to classroom teachers as needed
● Obtain and prepare any required program components for lessons from Food Forward office ● Ability to lift and carry supplies up to 30 lbs
● Attend program wrap up meeting at Food Forward office following the completion of lessons
● Experience and passion to work with children
● Excellent oral and written communications skills
● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
● Ability to adapt to changing educational environments
● Passionate understanding of the need to engage younger generations in the discourse about food waste and insecurity
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
Hours: 10 hour training in Dec 2018 or early Jan 2019, followed by 3-4 hours a week January - April 2019
Compensation: $20-25/hr, depending on experience
How to Apply: Send a cover letter in the body of the email including: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why? Please attach your resume as a PDF and send to email@example.com. The subject line should read, kNOw Waste Classroom Educator – (Your Name). No phone calls please.
Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application. Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.
Organization: Food Forward, Inc - a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
Position: Accounting and Human Resources Administrative Assistant
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Organizational Overview: Food Forward’s mission is to fight hunger and prevent food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are rescued from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. In the last 9 years, Food Forward’s programs have rescued over 50 million pounds (more than 200 million servings) of fresh produce, preventing nearly 19,000 metric tons of carbon equivalent from polluting the atmosphere. With a small staff, hundreds of community partners, and the power of 7,000+ volunteers, we will help over 1.75 million Southern Californians experiencing food insecurity this year. *See our core values posted below.
Position Overview: The Accounting and HR Coordinator will report to the Finance & HR Manager. The ideal candidate will be able to work in a fast paced environment and have the ability to juggle and prioritize various HR and Accounting tasks while paying strict attention to detail and meeting tight deadlines. The individual will work cross-departmentally providing guidance and support to all staff in the areas of HR & Accounting.
- Responsible for full cycle bookkeeping; from data entry to report generation and analysis
- Payroll, PTO, and sick pay entry, reconciliation, and reporting
- Responsible for staff expense and reimbursement tracking and reporting
- All aspects A/P and A/R
- Preparation of monthly financial reports (P&L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow & Programmatic P&L's) in an accurate and timely manner
- Ad hoc reporting
- Assist Finance and HR Manager with the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and assess any changes necessary.
- Support Finance and HR Manager with the annual budgeting and planning process
- Assist with a robust contracts management and financial management reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Administrative duties as needed
Human Resources and Administration
- Further development of Food Forward’s human resources and administration system including but limited to professional development and wellness program, and employee relations
- Standardise and improve current recruiting processes to ensure diversity and value alignment
- Manage the onboarding /exit process from start to finish
- Research current and trending HR policies and systems
- Manage Payroll and PTO requests and trackings
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants
- Manage and assist with “Confetti Committee”; our team building and staff event committee
- Other HR issues as they arise
- Implement Food Forward’s IIPP and Risk Management program
- Maintain records of Incident reports and safety management
- Collaborate with the facilities supervisor in maintaining staff safety
- Manage employee benefits program
- State and Federal regulation compliance
- Ensure Food Forward’s culture and values remain consistent in the face of changing policies
- Embody Food Forward core values* (link to values)
- 1 to 2 years of bookkeeping experience, QuickBooks knowledge is a plus
- Extremely organized with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to use sound judgment, discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal and people skills
- 1-year experience in a fast-paced environment -- non-profit or start-up desired
- A passion for food justice and community building
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A supportive co-worker who can work individually or collaboratively
- A valid CA driver's license
- Able to lift 40-60 lbs
- Conflict management skills
- Ability to be assertive as needed working with a variety of personalities while remaining approachable
- Ability to foresee and deter/deescalate strife and conflict
- Intermediate experience using Office, especially Excel, and G Suite
Hours: Full Time, non-exempt position
Compensation: $15-$18 an hour, d.o.e.
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
How to Apply: Send a cover letter in the body of the email including 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why? Please attach your resume as a PDF and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line should read, Accounting & HR Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls, please. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply.
*Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
ORGANIZATION: Food Forward (501c3 non-profit), foodforward.org
COMMITMENT: This is a volunteer position for 10 - 20 hrs/week during the fall and/or spring 2018/2019 (start date as early as November 2018-April 2019), based out of our North Hollywood office and at elementary schools across Los Angeles County. Hours are generally flexible, but will require some early morning hours at school sites while programs are in session.
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need, and inspiring others to do the same. This food helps feed Southern California’s most vulnerable: children, homeless individuals, veterans, those with HIV/AIDS, women, low income families, immigrants, and anyone who does not have access to a sufficient quantity of food. We also aim to tap into an awareness and consciousness of sustainability and community building, and to become a bright voice on Southern California’s edible landscape around food security and food justice issues.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Food Forward’s kNOw Waste Education Program is an interdisciplinary, standards-aligned 5th grade curriculum aiming to include students in the conversation about issues within our current food system, including food waste and food insecurity. We are seeking an individual interested in gaining valuable experience in youth education, food systems and nonprofit program development to assist our Education Manager with the preparation and implementation of this program. This position will involve working both at our office in North Hollywood and onsite in elementary school classrooms located throughout Los Angeles County. This position works directly with our Education Manager and Classroom Educators.
● Assist with school and educator outreach and onboarding/hiring
● Help to acquire, organize and transport program materials
● Support Food Forward educators in the classroom
● Aid communication with educators and school staff
● Maintain current and accurate information about all program applicants and participants
● Help with the analysis of program assessments
● Create materials showcasing student work to aid development projects
● Compile online resource library, to include curriculum materials and/or resources
● Support development of training resources
● Hands-on experience teaching food systems to elementary school students
● Strategic partnership management and outreach with teachers and administration
● Understanding of development process for training educators and volunteers
● Valuable experience working in a dynamic, diverse, and growing non-profit
● Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students, their families and the community
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in food justice issues & education. We are looking for a people-person with fantastic communication skills, and who is comfortable working with people from different backgrounds and of different temperaments. They should have a flexible schedule and be available to regularly work early mornings, a familiarity with the different neighborhoods and cities in LA County, and a strong interest in working with young students in an educational setting.
Other qualifications include:
● Completed or pursuing a bachelor’s degree
● Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
● Strong organizational and time-management skills
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google docs and Dropbox
● Independent, highly organized and detail-oriented
● Energetic, hard-working and enthusiastic team player
● Valid driver's license and access to a vehicle
● Access to a laptop computer
COMPENSATION: This volunteer position is unpaid; Non-commuter miles may be reimbursed on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply: Send a cover letter in the body of the email including: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why? Please attach your resume as a PDF and send to email@example.com .
The subject line should read, kNOw Waste Education Program Assistant – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application