June 22 is Community Giving Day at your local Whole Foods
The numbers are in! Whole Foods donated $120,194.05 in sales from 5% Day, allowing Food Forward to recover an additional 1,335,500 pounds of fruits and vegetables this year.
On Thursday, June 22, Whole Foods Market stores across the LA area will donate 5% of their net sales to support Food Forward’s work in the region.
You can make a difference by shopping at any of these participating stores: Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Fairfax, Downtown Los Angeles, Glendale, Long Beach, El Segundo, Pasadena (Arroyo Parkway), East Pasadena (Foothill Blvd.), Playa Vista, Northridge/Porter Ranch, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica (23rd & Wilshire, Montana Ave., 5th & Wilshire), Sherman Oaks East, Sherman Oaks West, Silver Lake, Tarzana, Thousand Oaks, Torrance, Valencia/Santa Clarita, Venice, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Westwood, and Woodland Hills markets.
Better yet, swing by a DIY Harvest Drop Off at one of the 6 participating stores to donate your backyard produce! We’ll be accepting fresh, excess produce from your backyard tree or garden from 11am-2pm at the Downtown LA, East Pasadena (Foothill Blvd.), Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, El Segundo, and Long Beach Whole Foods Markets.
DIY Harvest FAQ
- What can I bring?
- Any fresh, uncut fruits or vegetables that you yourself would eat! Please leave any green/unripe, damaged, or broken produce at home.
- How do I bring it?
- In a bag, box, or in your hands — even one or two lemons can be a welcome delivery at a local agency! We’ll box it up for you at the drop-off.
- Where will this produce go?
- Your excess produce will be dropped off to one of our existing partners, such as a food pantry, in the immediate area of this Whole Foods Market. How’s that for acting locally?
- I don’t have a backyard to harvest from, but I’d still like to help. How can I?
- I can only reach a few pieces of fruit. Can you help me harvest the rest?
- YES! We’d love to send our volunteers to harvest your tree(s). Register your fruit tree(s) online or in-person on 6/22.
Celebrating Earth Day
4.17.17 – Happy Earth Day Week! Recognized as a day to demonstrate support for environmental...
Solutions for Hunger on College Campuses: Live Online Summit
Food Forward and RESULTS LA will host the Summit on Food Recovery on April...
LA Weekly Presents The Essentials 3.26.17
Benefiting Food Forward and curated by LA Weekly’s food critic Besha Rodell, The...
LA Weekly Presents Sips & Sweets 12/2/16
In its third year, LA Weekly’s now annual holiday party will feature over 15...
Dessert Week 10/15/16
Dessert Week culminates on Oct 15th where there will be an all day Dessert...
LA Weekly: Brunch at the Races 10/9/16
LA Weekly presents Brunch at the Races at Santa Anita Park. Join us Sunday,...
LA Times Presents: City of Gold
Join Food Forward and LA, Grow to explore the best food in LA through...
The Front Yard’s 1st Birthday Party
The Front Yard is turning one! Enjoy live music and macrame classes at the birthday...
CAN IT! – Our Pilot Preserve Project Launches Nov. 22
In an attempt to take Food Forward’s activities of helping fight hunger in Southern...
Jewish Federation Hunger Event at Para Los Ninos
Food Forward will be partnering with The Jewish Federation this year during their FED...
Volunteer Meet N’ Greet Tuesday, October 6, 2009
September has brought a surge of hundreds of Food Forward volunteer sign-ups – Literally...
FRUITSTOCK Day 2
If you thought Day 1 of FRUITSTOCK was exciting, Day 2 was insane! With...
FRUITSTOCK – Day 1
It’s hard to express how gratifying a day yesterday was. To think that in...