June 22 is Community Giving Day at your local Whole Foods
The numbers are in! Whole Foods donated $120,194.05 in sales from 5% Day, allowing Food Forward to recover an additional 1,335,500 pounds of fruits and vegetables this year.
On Thursday, June 22, Whole Foods Market stores across the LA area will donate 5% of their net sales to support Food Forward’s work in the region.
You can make a difference by shopping at any of these participating stores: Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Fairfax, Downtown Los Angeles, Glendale, Long Beach, El Segundo, Pasadena (Arroyo Parkway), East Pasadena (Foothill Blvd.), Playa Vista, Northridge/Porter Ranch, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica (23rd & Wilshire, Montana Ave., 5th & Wilshire), Sherman Oaks East, Sherman Oaks West, Silver Lake, Tarzana, Thousand Oaks, Torrance, Valencia/Santa Clarita, Venice, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Westwood, and Woodland Hills markets.
Better yet, swing by a DIY Harvest Drop Off at one of the 6 participating stores to donate your backyard produce! We’ll be accepting fresh, excess produce from your backyard tree or garden from 11am-2pm at the Downtown LA, East Pasadena (Foothill Blvd.), Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, El Segundo, and Long Beach Whole Foods Markets.
DIY Harvest FAQ
- What can I bring?
- Any fresh, uncut fruits or vegetables that you yourself would eat! Please leave any green/unripe, damaged, or broken produce at home.
- How do I bring it?
- In a bag, box, or in your hands — even one or two lemons can be a welcome delivery at a local agency! We’ll box it up for you at the drop-off.
- Where will this produce go?
- Your excess produce will be dropped off to one of our existing partners, such as a food pantry, in the immediate area of this Whole Foods Market. How’s that for acting locally?
- I don’t have a backyard to harvest from, but I’d still like to help. How can I?
- I can only reach a few pieces of fruit. Can you help me harvest the rest?
- YES! We’d love to send our volunteers to harvest your tree(s). Register your fruit tree(s) online or in-person on 6/22.