Food Forward is hiring a Development Associate!
Organizational Overview: Food Forward’s mission is to rescue fresh local produce that would otherwise go to waste connecting this abundance with people in need, and inspiring others to do the same. Our donated produce will reach those in need across virtually all social service sectors: homeless outreach, domestic violence shelters, street youth homes, veteran services, LGBT teen/adult/senior services, after-school programs, the mentally disabled, low-income college programs, and many more. With the volunteer-power of over 7,000 registered volunteers and a small staff, we will help feed over 1.25 million Southern Californians in need with healthy, nutritious, otherwise wasted produce this year.
Position Description: The Development Associate will report to the Director of Development. S/he will be involved in nearly all aspects of organizational fundraising: grant writing, individual donor cultivation, events, and much more. The ideal candidate is passionate about hunger/food justice issues. People new to fundraising should not shy away from applying. But, s/he must be a self-starter who has an acute interest in learning non-profit fundraising. The candidate must possess exceptional organizational, communication, written, and critical thinking skills. These, along with ambition and a willingness to learn, are non-negotiable traits. Food Forward has been rapidly expanding since inception, and this position has great potential for growth!
• Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree a plus
• Keen passion for food justice is desired
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Must be a conceptual, strategic thinker
• Possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbally, for interaction with donors, stakeholders, and others within the organization
• Ability to manage time and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
• Fundamental understanding of budgeting and/or proficiency in basic bookkeeping is preferred
• Skilled in Microsoft Office
• Experience working with Salesforce and/or other CRM or donor software is preferred
• Prep grant applications and reports for the Grant Writer and Development Director
• Conduct research to identify new grant opportunities
• Assist the Executive Director and the Development Director with preparation for meetings with funders
• Generate financial reports from Salesforce to relay up-to-date income information to executive staff, board, and staff bookkeeper
• Maintain donor correspondence and acknowledge gifts
• Keep CRM database (Salesforce) current
• Assist in general communication outreach for all development department needs
• Maintain electronic attachments of funder and program files
• Assist with Food Forward’s annual spring fundraiser and other smaller donor events
• Ability to lift 40 pounds, sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, kneel, and crouch.
Hours: 40 hours a week
Wage: $15-$20 hr. DOE
Benefits: Health & vision insurance and paid vacation
How to Apply:
Applications are due by Tuesday, July 5th. Send a cover letter in the body of the email and attach your resume in a PDF version to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line should read, Development Associate – (Your Name). No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to insure that we process your application.