We are Hiring: Weekend Field Support!
The Weekend Field Support will report to the Farmers Market Recovery (FMR) Manager and Backyard Harvesting (BYH) Manager and serve two main roles: (1) transport materials and equipment between the office, markets, harvests, and agencies using Food Forward’s vehicles (utility van and large truck with bed) and (2) act as support staff to the volunteers when out in the field. At all times, the Weekend Field Support will be representing Food Forward as a community ambassador. The weekly market responsibilities include re-stocking the FMR supply kits at farmers markets across Los Angeles, checking in with glean team leader (volunteer) and assessing their needs, filling in as a glean team leader or assisting with gleans when needed, and occasionally driving boxes from farmers markets to receiving agencies. The bi-weekly harvest responsibilities include packing one of our Food Forward vehicles, equipment drop-off and pick-up, fruit collection, fruit deliver to local agencies, and assisting with harvests when needed. The Weekend Field Support should be able to lead volunteers at any market or harvest in emergencies. The driver is expected to provide great customer service, keep in constant contact with the FMR and BYH Managers, and provide weekly email recaps of the weekend’s events.
All FMR work is on Saturdays (4-6 hours) and Sundays (8 hours). Time commitment would be two Sundays and all Saturdays per month. Additional hours would be available, depending on need. The schedule will be coordinated with the FMR Manager one month in advance.
BYH work varies month to month. Picks are scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance and would require Monday/Friday or Saturday/Sunday driving. Driving will average about 4 hours/day. The schedule will be coordinated with the BYH manager every month.
The driver would be using Food Forward vehicles and does not need to provide a delivery vehicle. However, reliable transport to and from the office is required.
- Valid Class C Driver’s license
- Ability to drive large utility-style vans and trucks in compliance of traffic and safety laws
- Clean driving record
- Ability to lift and move boxes of produce weighing up to 45 lbs from ground to vehicles
- Ability to load picking equipment such as 8’ and 12’ foot ladders, picker poles, and hand trucks for harvests up to 50 people
- Availability Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday
- Extremely organized and efficient with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication
- Team player
- Good geographical knowledge of Greater Los Angeles
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to make and act on decisions quickly
- Excited to represent Food Forward when visiting markets and agencies and act as a community ambassador
Wage: $12.00 – $15.00/hr depending on experience.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter in the body of the email and attach your resume in a PDF version to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read, Weekend Field Support – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to insure that we process your application.