Food Forward is hiring a Wholesale Produce Market Recovery Program Manager!
(Part-Time, Independent Contractor: 20hrs/Week)
The Wholesale Produce Recovery Program is a new program, being readied to launch in the first quarter of 2014, where Food Forward will connect donations of large lots of nearly expired produce from wholesale produce donors at or around the downtown Los Angeles produce terminal, coordinating and managing these donations to large hunger relief agencies who in-turn distribute 100% of the produce to smaller “feeder” agencies serving food insecure individuals across Southern California. The Program Manager will be responsible for architecting, building and maintaining this program under the guidance of Food Forward’s Operations Director and Executive Director.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned veteran of the wholesale produce business and is passionate about hunger/food justice issues, with the entrepreneurial spirit needed to start-up, establish and run the Program. The candidate will be involved at ground level; meeting with and engaging potential produce donors (wholesale distributors), identifying and engaging other allies, negotiating with partners, hiring a small team, including a driver, and helping lay out a strategy for a once a week pick-up that will grow to multiple times a week once the program is established.
- Must have multi-level knowledge of wholesale produce industry, preferably of the Los Angeles wholesale terminal and the many companies doing business there.
- 3-5 years working in logistics-related work.
- 3-5 years of produce receiving, inspection, handling and storage experience.
- Ability to make quick decisions regarding produce quality based on experience, current season, and receiving agency guidelines.
- Understand new/social media and how it can be implemented to the program’s benefit.
- Works well under pressure.
- Bilingual – English & Spanish
- Scaling the program:
- Oversee the recovery and re-distribution of fresh produce. Initially to 2 large hunger relief agencies/food banks, once a week, eventually adding 1 more agency and multiple trips per week
- Establish, cultivate and grow relationships with wholesale distributors, their dock staff and foremen, to open communications, get buy-in to the program and generate a steady stream of donations
- Maintain and grow relationships with partner receiving agencies
- Develop and maintain proper produce donation records on a weekly basis
- Coordinate the use/loan of program vehicles and respective drivers.
- Document the building and evolution of the program through the creation of a Wholesale Market Recovery Manual
- Document progress and best practices on a quarterly basis
- Play well with others, i.e. highly diplomatic
● Proven track-record in relationship building and maintenance with a diverse cross-section of stakeholders.
● Extremely organized and efficient with excellent attention to detail
● Excellent verbal communication and writing skills
● Able to lift 30-50 lb objects/boxes on a regular basis
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Docs
● Valid California drivers license
● Ability to lead by example and set clear expectations
● Ability to train, mentor and coach team members to succeed
$20.00 / Hr – note: this position begins part-time at 20 hours per week, and is expected to grow to a fulltime position with benefits based on the success of the program.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter in the body of the email and attach your resume in a PDF version to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read, Wholesale Market Recovery Program Manager – (Your Name). No phone calls please. Please follow these instructions to insure that we process your application.
APPLY by January 31st ,2014.
Anticipated start: February 15th ,2014.