Do you have a fruit tree? Would you like to donate your fruit to those in need? Here’s how you can become a Fruit Donor!
Food Forward can provide you with the resources needed to harvest and donate your fruit to those in need.
- Learn how to harvest your fruit with friends and neighbors. Know when your fruit is ripe by reading our Harvesting Guide.
- Find your local food bank, food pantry, and/or direct service agency by reviewing our Receiving Agency Guide.
- Need equipment? Contact our Harvest Coordinator at email@example.com or 818-764-1022×3# to borrow or purchase your own harvesting kit today!
- Have too much fruit or you are not physically able to pick your own fruit? Food Forward has trained and insured volunteers who lead picks all over Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Learn more about our Community Fruit Picks below.
- Reduce food waste by learning how to process and prepare your fruit! Read more about our CAN IT! Academy and Foodsteader courses here.
- You are ensured that every piece of fruit is going to someone in need and know that you are a part of the solution of ending hunger in your community!
- You receive a tax- deductible receipt for your fruit. We measure the pounds and send you a receipt by mail noting the weight of your donation. (You must estimate the value of your donation)
- You reduce the amount of waste in your yard or green bins that are attracting rodents.
Community Fruit Picks
If we have volunteers in your area and you have too much fruit to harvest on your own, Food Forward has teams of trained volunteers who harvest throughout Los Angeles and Ventura counties.
If we have harvested from your tree in the past, and you would like to let us know that your tree is ready for another harvest please do not register your tree again. Instead, email the Harvest Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Brenna at 818 764 1022 x 3#.
One-hundred percent of all fruit harvested by Food Forward is donated to local food pantries. Due to an oversubscription of fruit trees, we’re unable to get to all the properties that register with us. We thank you for your patience as our program grows deeper roots across Southern California communities!
Currently, we are only able to harvest from the following properties:
- Properties located in areas where we have trained volunteers. *Currently we have volunteer power in the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, West Los Angeles, East Los Angeles, and Ventura County. Once you register, the Harvest Coordinator will determine if there is a volunteer available in your area. (Don’t have volunteers in your area? Contact email@example.com to learn how to bring gleaners to your neighborhood!)
- Mature fruit trees, multi-tree private orchards, multi-tree public spaces or gardens.
- Well-pruned trees less than 25 feet with easily accessible fruit.
If you meet the above criteria…
- Please complete the Property Registration Form to the best of your ability and we will add your tree(s) to our database.
- Your information will be processed within 3-4 days by our Harvest Coordinator to see if we have volunteers in your area.
- Your tree(s) will go on our “Ready to Harvest” list.
- If there is a volunteer(s) available to lead a Community Fruit Pick, a Property Scout will contact you to schedule a quick site visit. The Property Scout will evaluate your trees and property to determine when your fruit is ripe, how many volunteers are needed, and the appropriate tools for the job.
- Once your property is scouted and ready to harvest, the Harvest Coordinator will contact you to schedule a Pick Event with an available volunteer in your area. If we determine that your fruit is not ripe or that your property doesn’t meet our criteria we will let you know and discuss next steps/other options.
- It is not required for homeowners to be present on the day/time we harvest but if you are home and want to help, we would love for you to join us!
Privacy: Information entered here is used solely by Food Forward. We do not share, sell, or otherwise distribute your personal information.
Low Res | High Res
“Having Food Forward harvest my lemon tree made giving to my community both easy and meaningful. They handled everything: the harvesting, the clean up and the delivery of the fruit. I was astounded by the amount of fruit my one little tree yielded and was so gratified to know it would not go to waste but provide fresh fruit to those who would otherwise go without.”- Abby, Los Angeles