ORGANIZATION: Food Forward (501c3 non-profit), www.foodforward.org
HOURS: 10 hours per week: Twice a week from 11 – 4pm at our North Hollywood office.
DATES: Starts June 1
COMPENSATION: This position is currently unpaid.
Food Forward’s mission is to reconnect people with people – through food – by bringing together volunteers and neighbors to share in the gleaning and distributing of locally grown food from private homes and public spaces which is then distributed to local food pantries and organizations serving those in need. Since forming in 2009, Food Forward has rescued over 800,000 pounds of produce from over 325 local backyards and orchards.
Food Forward is growing by leaps and bounds and is at an exciting point in it’s development. To keep up with the increasing opportunities and demands coming to our organization, we are looking for an individual who will assist the core Food Forward team with administrative needs!
We seek someone who is looking for a dynamic experience that will provide a highly valuable work experience in a fast-paced, mission-driven, non profit setting. This position will provide professional experience assisting in the execution of vital programs at Food Forward. The position provides intimate exposure to working with several of Food Forward’s partnership agencies as well. We seek an applicant who is excited to become better familiarized with the Food Justice community of Los Angeles.
The Office and Admin Intern will work directly with the Managing Director, Volunteer Coordinator, and the Harvest Coordinator on various projects and tasks pertaining to Food Forward’s daily including the following:
- Help maintain an organized efficient workspace
- Run occasional office-related errands such as buying office supplies (gas money will be provided)
- Assist with correspondence to donors
- Manage inventory and status of merchandise
Harvest management tasks:
- Manage vehicle maintenance on Food Forward vehicles
- Manage the “FruitLine”, Food Forward’s telephone message service.
- Reach out to potential fruit donors to gather basic information
- Help to ensure that the logistics of each pick is organized and coordinated by emailing and calling fruit donors and pantry partners.
Volunteer management tasks
- Reach out to volunteers to gather basic info and send critical details
- Help maintain an organized volunteer database
- Track and manage signed volunteer liability releases
- Update Pick Leader reports in database
We are looking for a team player with a great, can-do attitude. We need a detail-oriented person who enjoys organizing and collecting data and who can work efficiently and comfortably on a website and in Google docs to manage information. Candidate should be a personable multi-tasker, bright and resourceful and a self-starter. Candidate should be available for at least 3 months.
Other qualifications include:
- College Student or recent graduate
- Strong knowledge and comfort with WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Google doc, MS Office
- Interest in food justice work desired
- Able to take projects from initial steps to the finish line
- Strong people and public speaking skills
- Must be organized and proficient at Excel
- Must be comfortable with phone calls to homeowners and pantry partners
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure; a team player
- Desire to work in a fast paced environment, start up or non-profit desired
- A valid drivers license and ability to easily navigate the SFV
- Willingness to work some weekends
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
- Must have a reliable form a transportation
If you are interested in this position, please email your most current resume and a 100-150 word letter explaining why you want to work for Food Forward and what excites you most about our mission. Please send your letter of interest in the body of the email and your resume in PDF format to email@example.com. This position is unpaid.