POSITION: Harvest Coordinator
ORGANIZATION: Food Forward (501c3 non-profit), www.foodforward.org
HOURS: 20-25 hours per week (M, W, F) at our North Hollywood office. The position starts as part – time, becoming full–time, projected Spring 2012
Food Forward’s mission is to reconnect people with people – through food – by bringing together volunteers and neighbors to share in the gleaning and distributing of locally grown food from private homes and public spaces, with 100% going to feed the hungry in our communities. We engage volunteers to harvest locally grown food, which is then distributed to local food pantries and organizations serving those in need. Since forming in 2009, Food Forward has rescued over 550,000 pounds of produce from over 325 local backyards and orchards.
Food Forward is growing by leaps and bounds and is at an exciting point in its development. To keep up with the increasing opportunities and demands coming to our organization, we are looking for an individual who will maintain our Harvesting and Property database, working closely with fruit donors, Property Scouts and recipient agencies. This person will work with property owners who have fruit to donate by gathering essential harvesting and logistical information for our database to organize and coordinate picks. They will also work with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that all scheduled picks are filled with an adequate number of volunteers and will oversee the produce delivery to assigned recipient agencies. This person will oversee a growing corps of volunteer Property Scouts and work with our larger properties to schedule ‘Big Picks’ and coordinate the logistics of our Private Picks (for local corporate clients, faith-based organizations, school groups and non-profits).
The Harvest Coordinator will report to the Managing Director and will be responsible for the following:
- Maintaining relationships with 300+ fruit donors and with 25+ recipient agencies (food pantries or donation centers)
- Managing and improving a database of over 350 properties and over 2500 volunteers.
- Scheduling 2 – 4 picks a week and working directly with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that each pick has enough support for its size and quantity of trees
- Training and overseeing our Property Scouts to ensure that they are gathering and reporting property/tree information correctly
- Working with our Executive Director to identify properties that are suitable for Private Picks, then coordinating the logistics for each of these events with property owners
- Frequent written and verbal communication with property owners and recipient agencies
- Updating our WordPress site and database
- Act as a Food Forward liaison with outside agencies such as CA Dept. of Agriculture, Dept of Water & Power and LA City, regarding important information on public orchards and potential fruit quarantines.
- Recording harvest notes, pounds and property details and recipient agency
- Responsible for upkeep and management of harvest equipment
- Additional projects and responsibilities to be defined as position grows to full-time in spring 2012.
Ideally, candidate will have a strong interest in hunger and food justice issues. We are looking for an extremely detail-oriented person who enjoys organizing and collecting data and can work efficiently and comfortably on a website to manage information. Candidate should be personable and able follow up with property owners of various personalities and temperaments. Candidate must have a strong knowledge of local fruit tree varietals and fruit tree care. Candidate should be highly versed in Los Angeles and SFV geography.
Other qualifications include:
- Bachelors Degree in a related field
- Knowledge of locally grown tree varieties, including harvest season, tree size and shape, fruit qualities (You will be tested)
- Strong knowledge and comfort with WordPress, Twitter, Facebook and other social media.
- Strong knowledge of LA and the SFV geography, neighborhoods and streets (You will be tested)
- Experience in food justice work desired
- Proven effective data management skills
- Strong people and public speaking skills
- Flexible, a team player, able to work well under pressure
- Experience working in a fast paced environment, start up or non-profit desired
- A valid drivers license and ability to easily navigate the SFV
- Willingness to work some weekends
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
COMPENSATION: $17,500/year (part – time). This position is projected to move to full time in Spring 2012 and will offer full-time salary and other benefits at that time.
NEXT STEP: To apply, please send a letter of interest in the body of an email describing why you are interested and what you are able to offer the role of Harvest Coordinator. Please attach your resume in PDF format and send to Meg, Managing Director, at meg[at]foodforward[dot]org with the subject “Harvest Coordinator.”